Naturally occurring in certain foods and water, fluoride is highly-effective in preventing tooth decay and strengthening tooth enamel. For individuals at a high risk of developing tooth decay, supplemental fluoride applications can be a good method for maintaining sound oral health.
Fluoride provides two benefits for teeth:
- Attaches to the enamel of teeth in order to increase their strength and resistance
- Restores and remineralizes enamel and reverses tooth decay in its early stages
Supplemental fluoride applications can be completed in just one visit. The treatment works by applying fluoride directly to the teeth in the form of a gel, foam or varnish using special trays that are worn over the teeth. Once the procedure is completed, the patient may be instructed to not eat or drink for at least an hour so that their teeth can properly absorb the fluoride.
Patients receive fluoride applications for several reasons, including:
- Exposed or sensitive root surfaces
- Grooves and fissures on the surfaces of molars
- Inadequate oral hygiene practices
- Lack of fluoride exposure
- Excessive sugar intake
- History of tooth decay
- Inadequate flow of saliva
If you want to learn more about fluoride applications and how the treatment can be used to help prevent tooth decay, please contact us to schedule an appointment at one of our six locations across South Florida. You may call us at (786) 320-7554 to set up an appointment.